Quietly Brilliant – this is the tagline of the Taiwan-based mobile company HTC, short for High Tech Computer Corporation. This tagline rings true when you trace how the company became a major player in the mobile phone industry. Even before it became a popular brand name, HTC was quietly but steadily making firsts in the history of the mobile phone industry. Some of its historical firsts include the first Microsoft-powered Smartphone and 3G phone, one of the first touch screen Smartphones, and the first Android-powered phone – the HTC Dream. Prior to its breakout as a major player, HTC was the company behind the Palm Treo 650 and the iPAQ.
The HTC Company
HTC's History in Mobile Phones
HTC’s history can truly be best described by its tagline; founded in 1997 by Cher Wang Peter Chou, and HT Cho, it used to manufacture mobile phones combined with a personal assistant. The venture, however, was not successful and almost drove the company to bankruptcy. The impending doom was prevented when Cheri Wang, in a brilliant and daring move, invested most of her money to HTC and made an overhaul to the company’s design and engineering section.
The risk paid off when, after producing mobile computers for Compaq and HP, HTC developed the first Pocket computer which runs on Microsoft OS in 2002. Since then, the company’s success and popularity grew steadily and was firmly established when it started manufacturing and selling its HTC branded mobile phones in 2006. And in just a matter of one year after introducing its own line, it was hailed as Asia’s second largest mobile phone manufacturing company.
The HTC One Series
Over the years, HTC has produced innovative mobile phone features and designs – all with a quiet brilliance. The latest addition to their brilliant Smartphone line is the HTC One series, which is also their flagship brand at the moment. The HTC One Series has four phones under it – the HTC One XL, the HTC One X, HTC V, and the HTC One S.
Though these phones have their own distinguishing features to set them apart from each other, they share some common features that are exclusive only for the HTC One Series phones.
- Display – The HTC One Series uses Gorilla glass on its display. Gorilla glass is a specially engineered glass sheet developed and manufactured by Corning. What makes this special compared to its predecessors is its thinness and lightness. But don’t be fooled – it is very durable and scratch resistant but still gives you the best image view.
- Sound – Another feature of the HTC One series is the Beats Audio technology which gives you clean, rich, and authentic sound in your videos, music, and games. Beats Audio lets you hear the sound how the artist hears it.
- Camera – The HTC One camera lets you take pictures and videos at the same time. Its video and photo capture buttons are placed in the same screen which makes it possible for you to do these tasks at the same time. It also has continuous shooting features which enables you to capture all the every action without missing a shot.
The Stylish HTC One XL
The HTC Sense
All Smartphones has its own unique features to make it stand out from the rest of the competition. In the case of HTC, one of the distinguishing features they have in their Smartphones is the HTC Sense, which is a potpourri of apps, services, and add-ons to further enhance your HTC experience.
As the company continues to evolve, so does HTC Sense – it continues to offer fun and cool features you cannot find in other Smartphones. Some of these features are the first in Android history. Here are a few features of the HTC Sense you might want to check.
- Flip Your Phone – Someone is calling you while you are in the middle of something important. What you normally do is sort through your bag or pull your mobile phone from your pocket and turn it off. With the ‘Flip Your Phone’ feature, however, you don’t need to do all these steps, you simply turn over your phone and it stops ringing – no awkward moments during meetings.
- Smart Ringer – Another mobile phone feature which can be a pain if you forgot to put it in silent mode is the ringer. HTC Sense has the Smart Ringer feature which senses your movement and surroundings to automatically adjust your mobile phone volume. So if you are in a library and your phone rings, you pick it up and the volume decreases. If you don’t want to take the call just flip your phone and the ringing stops. On the other hand, if your phone is in your bag or pocket and your phone starts ringing, the volume increases to get your attention. With the Smart Ringer, you don’t have to worry about missed calls.
- HTC Car – This is your perfect driving companion. With this feature, you don’t have to worry about holding your phone between your head and shoulders while driving – an action that invites big trouble. Coupled with some helpful accessories, you can place your phone on your dashboard for easy viewing and navigation. You can find locations, answer calls, and listen to music with just one touch.
The HTC Sense helps you perform tasks easier wherever you are and whatever you are doing. With HTC Sense, multi-tasking has never been more fun. And you can find this feature in all HTC handsets.
Beyond the HTC One
Aside from the HTC One Series, HTC has other Smartphones which runs on either Android or Windows OS.
- HTC ChaCha – This Smartphone has both a physical and touch QWERTY keyboard. It also has a Facebook button which makes it easier to share updates, photos, and chat with your friends. It also has an easy browsing and reading feature which automatically adjusts the text size when you access and zoom in a certain web page.
- HTC Titan – This is a Windows powered HTC phone which lets you access the Microsoft Office suite faster and easier. It is also 4G and Wi-Fi enabled which makes web browsing faster. It is also equipped with a 16 megapixel camera which has panorama and image stabilising features.
- HTC Velocity 4G – This is another 4G LTE –enabled phone. It has an instant capture feature which lets you capture the photos as you see them. This phone is ideal for those who love watching videos because of its immersive screen feature which gives you life like images. The 1.5Ghz processor and flash support also enables you to browse the net and watch videos with super fast speed.
- HTC Rhyme – This is the Smartphone for music lovers because it comes with extra accessories to enhance your music experience. But what really sets this mobile phone from the rest of its HTC family is its icebreaker feature which allows you to see the status of the person calling you. With the icebreaker, there are no odd moments or dead air in your conversation because you do not know what to say.
- HTC Evo 3D – You want to have the 3D experience on your mobile phone. With HTC Evo 3D, that is possible without having to wear 3D glasses. You can enjoy your 3D movies everywhere you want. If 3D movies are not cool enough, you can also capture videos in 3D and watch them in a 4.3 inch display.
There are still a lot of firsts you can enjoy from HTC. If you are the adventurous type who wants to combine technology with never before seen innovations, an HTC might be the ideal phone for you.